Saturday, March 20, 2010

Gimme a P! Gimme an A! Gimme a T! Forget it, this is taking too long.

Have you ever set your mind to something, publicly announced your intentions, planned out how you were going to achieve your goal, put your best foot forward and then found that it wasn't working out the way you had envisioned? No? Me neither. If you'll excuse me for a moment, it seems that my pants are on fire and I should see about putting them out.

Okay, I'm back. And yes, I am feeling a little dejected and doubtful about the success of this particular venture. I am really trying to be creative and resourceful in manufacturing opportunities to meet men, but where are the men?! I can be pretty darn tenacious when I want to be, but I am beginning to question my intestinal fortitude when it comes to finding a mate. Unrewarded anticipation is not quite my bag.

But alas, as my good friend John Quincy Adams once said, "Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish." Of course he was probably giving an impassioned speech before congress on the merits and worthwhile task of abolishing slavery in the face of much opposition. While that puts my life in perspective a little, I happen to liken myself unto a slave of sorts. A slave to loneliness trying to hop a train on the underground railroad to love.

Would you believe that right this very moment there is a really cute man in my house? No, I'm not referring to some tow-headed, bright-eyed toddler. A real man. He's hooking up my satellite tv service. I wonder how long I could keep him here under the ruse that I can't get the hang of the new remote. Maybe I could ask him to explain in detail how exactly the receivers pick up the satellite signal and whether he thinks we have secret spy satellites orbiting alongside the tv satellites. Then we can make tinfoil hats together.

I think his woman just called him.

Mr. Adams, I will not let this set back, or any other, keep me from the call of my mission.

God bless persistence, and God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment