Sunday, February 28, 2010

Meetup or Shut Up

If I only had a day spa gift certificate for every time I've been told to "get out and do the things you like and then you're sure to meet someone who likes the same things as you!" (Looks like I'm not the only one reading Dating for Dummies, by the way.) But since I don't have a day spa gift certificate for every time I've heard it, it so happens that my time is freed up to give this sage advice the ol' college try.

Just tonight, I got dressed up and went with me and myself to a coffee shop I've never been to, armed with David Sedaris, my recently acquired lip gloss and a hip new black trench jacket (so cute - short, rain resistant, with a tie belt). I've never combined these things before into something I'd call a hobby or interest, but individually I enjoy them each. It's reaching. I know this. My interests include books, movies, art, diagnosing myself on the web, basically the same things everyone else likes; but parlaying these into match-making opportunities is easier said than done. Now I don't mean to say that there aren't groups I could join for people who like all of these things, but I am not convinced that they would be places to potentially make a love connection.

Knowing how cynical I am and how quickly I think I have it all summed up, I am willing to concede that I may be mistaken in my perceptions about interest groups, which makes it sound like I am trying to find a date among the oil and gas lobby. (Note to self: find out the demographic information of some local PACs.)  Where was I, oh yes. So because I might just be wrong, I went to meetup.com to find some ways to "get out and do the things I like."

I chose three out of about a million meetup groups. My first pick was a book club that focuses on classic literature. I'm cynical, but I also believe in signs. The book they are meeting about next is Their Eyes Were Watching God. This is the book that opened my eyes to the world of classic literature. I could write a little essay right now about the virtues of this book, but I'll spare you except to say that if you haven't read it, read it. There seemed to be a nice ratio of women to men members of the group, but no indication of the single to off-the-market ratio. But at least I'll get to talk about the book.

The second group I chose is called the "I've always wanted to try that" group. They do all kinds of crazy stuff, from sky diving (no I won't be doing that) to paint ball (might be fun). I think this group, if I actually get into it, could be great for me. There are so very many things I've always wanted to do but never did because of my ridiculous timidity. Inside I am a mountain climbing, cliff diving, deep sea fishing, up the coast of Maine hiking wild woman.

The third group I joined is a once-a-month indoor doggy play-date group. This one doesn't need much explainin' but it looks really cool. It's free, too.

Each of these groups have events planned for March. I am going to attempt to make at least one event per group before March is over. I would also hereby like to challenge you to find yourself an interesting meetup group and step outside of your comfy lil' zone, too! Then we can swap stories. Deal?

Well kids, it's 3:00 am on Sunday morning. Must be a result of my coffee date with David, which by the way was fun but did not produce any interactions that could count toward my weekly exchange. Thank goodness for red shorts guy last Sunday. If it weren't for him, I would have already failed my challenge! Thanks, fella - wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment